Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Taking time off

I'm doing it. I'm taking time off. I thought returning  to work would serve as salvation,  rebirth.  Redux, as  John Updike would say.
I may have been wrong

 I never understood Kafka's blather  about  the crucial skill of sitting tranquilly  in ones' room  amid books and papers. I need to be busy, obsessed, absorbed . I have experienced rich reward in work.  Much of what I do has no parallel in  the real world of Salaryman.

I've known many of my patients for decades. We have grown  old together,  developed diabetes and cancer , my patients and I . Part  of the miracle of my job is that my patients  understand  I am frail and mortal just like them,   We are  flawed, but we have each other.

My   support group  has protected me from the war roiling around us at work   Docs are leaving the group, and I cant  blame them. We work long hours and we are understaffed. If we cat work on a Saturday we must arrange our own coverage.  I suspect the   administration's  response to revenue shortfalls is to  make us work harder,  for longer hours . Reminds me of the  joke

 The beatings Will Continue Until Morale improves

 Why don't I leave? A cynic   would point out  the administration's  has me by the shorts.  The docs who regard their  patients as family will never leave.   The docs who view their job as an upper middle-class-carrer that could earn  big bucks if one gave Botox in the backroom  will eventually leave, anyway.
I remember when I returned to work  my mantra was  "I'd do this for free"  And I would. And, on some level, I do,  I am one phone call away from telling Solvy at Prudential the grand experiment of my retuning to  work did not work out.  I ca watch and re watch The Wire three times, I can re-watch  Arrested Development ,  pretend to  finish  A team of Rivals" again  which should bring us to 2019.

Which brings us  to today's  blog.  Pain.  Pain. Pain.   So much pain.  Comical,  out sized,  sarcastic.  Pain to make the tears flow freely  while I examine a patient and ask about an ill conceived ta too.  Its creepy.
  I can't work like this. the GVHD is back, a blind dentist  flaying around in the mouth  leaving  wreckage in its place.


Dilemma. Can't work in pain,  Cant work with  narcotics coursing in one's veins.  That sort of behavior ends on the first page of the Hartford Courant pic of me with  my  white coat  over my head,  reporters asking , in my estimation, how many died because I was taking medication. Dreamt last night I never went to med school,  I decided to be a lawyer ( or an Indian chief, the dream was unclear. Who  wears the   bird feather  headdress? ) I feel real fear in the dream content,  I may never work again.   The impaired physician is a cliche,  a pathetic  caricature. Me.

Shit shit shit.  This is the sort of blog  I never want to write, yet often seem to do so.   The blog  contains all the earmarks of post modern literature,  the inside  jokes,  pointless, self-serving, self pity

Funny story: I'm at the pharmacy  today picking up my meds. All my  scripts are stamped  DANA FARBER HEMATOLOGICAL  Malignancies  Department.  Its a free pass. No one 's gonna question my need for  drugs since I have the  big C. I feel as if I could buy a copy of  JUGGS magazine without a hint of embarrassment  "He's buying a titty magazine? Let him. he has cancer. poor guy, I hope the distraction helps"

I do a horrible thing: I open the  pills in the parking lot, junkie style.

Yikes. I should have 20  tablets of Ichor, I have 16.  Furious dazed, aching.  Some lab tech is having his own private party in some stairwell celebrating with my little white rounds of  tranquility and peace.

I am  not able to count to twenty, let alone remember the 8 diagnostic  features of  polycythemia vera . I storm into the pharmacy "You shorted me!"  I howl in righteous indignation, The  other  customers  swivel  to get a better look, some guy is going berserk.

Not the pharmacy's fault.

 For some reason, they distributed the pills  in various bottles. Why?  More to the point, I'm now that creepy guy, the guy you stare and and then slowly edge away from, the  stoned geezer  who pays cash for his narcotics to avoid the DEA.  After I apologize profusely, the pharmacist asks,  "Is it the heat?"  implying  the major side effect of sun exposure is a sense of being under dosed.

I return home .I can stop  wandering the house scaring the cats and kids,  mumbling "why doesn't god kill me now?"  This must be a key phrase one  learns at marriage counseling to avoid   I suspect "God Kill me now" is up there with  "I'm sleeping with your  sister" as what they call red-button expressions that have no place in life but enhance every  Coen brother movie .


I am not blind to the irony of all this. Most 55 year olders are  frolicking with grandchildren, wintering in  Boca and  reading John Grisholm's word.  But I cant  stop working  Who is going to tell  Ms Z that her cancer is back but to do it with such  affection and concern she honestly thanks me for the news.

I flash on Bonnie Franklin, One day at a time who died of pancreatic cancer last year


So while you’re here enjoy the view
Keep on doing what you do
So hold on tight we’ll muddle through
One day at a time, One day at a time.


Feh, less significance  than I remember    Nonetheless,  The enemy  is the doubt, The  not knowing. I called  the office , not coming tomorrow. Maybe not Friday.  Have to be off the pain meds.  This is obvious , too. There appears to be no answer.  Except to get better.  More doubt.    

No comments:

Post a Comment