Friday, December 18, 2015

The Whitney


The Whitney was crowded but I felt fine.   The Whitney Museum of American art recently re opened in downtown Manhattan after a long run on the Upper East Side. I missed the Whitney. My old friends, the Hoppers, the Picassos and the absurdly obscene instillations were back on display. I roamed room-to-room seeking out my old pals.  I ran into my old friend George Bellows and we both watched the Dempsey – Firpo fight.*
         This was a new experience Not the art, but the disorientation of being well.  Chronic disease is a constant logistical battle.   The mind spins with desperate, absurd, surreal questions. Where is the nearest bathroom?  Sip of water? Where can I lie down if/when I feel sick? If I had to leave,  where is the nearest bed? The nearest hotel room, the next train back home?  Each medication carries its own cacophony   of  side affects  and  Graft versus host disease is like  firing a machine gun into the night. You don’t know where the next bullet will hit  but when it does, there will be pain. Will my  4 ½ year old  white cells  declare  Fatwa against my liver again? My mouth?  My skin?
         The battlefield was clear today.  The analogy of cancer to war is  excellent:  You win the war but the  insurgents hole up and occasionally  descend into town, taking no  prisoners and raising havoc, when you were certain  peace had been declared .
But oddly, this  piece isn’t about me. It’s about Cynthia.

Dear Cynthia , who  stood by me for  the past 8 years of this non ending psycho and melodrama.
         Now its her turn to  search for the closest place to find cool water, a  life saving snack, a clean  and near-by bed.
         Her destroying  angel came in the form of Spondolithiasis.          For  years  her  back had slowly dteriorated. If the spine is a stack of quarters, her spine was more like a game of Jengah where the   wooden sticks are pushed askew. Eventually the stack collapses, the game is over, and it’s time for  serious surgery.  Six weeks ago she had   back surgery where   surgeons trimmed the  overhanging  vertebrate that  were  pressing on her nerves. The surgeons then  made a paste from her bones and spackled the transformed spine to  rebuild the  whittled column that had been her backbone.

          Back at the Whitney, I rush over to greet  my old fried Frank  Stella, who is  hanging out against  a wall . Cyn follows behind, walking slowly, pain etched on her face.
“What’s wrong?"  I ask from reflex. I know that face , the one that  means “I’ve hit the wall, I’ve overdone it and I need to retreat.”  I have a similar face.

And I want to say “I know how you feel. I know exactly how you feel. I know what it’s like to be  77 miles from your bottle of pain medication  and realize you must spend the next 4  hours  seeking out and returning with the  life saving elixir.

                  I don’t want to say “I know how you feel” because she’ll say, “You can’t possibly   know.”
         The conversation will degrade into  a sad  rumination on who suffers more. Please,  Cyn not in front of Frank
         I an amazed and terrified by the similarities of our experiences,  the feeling one can’t go another step, the  nihilistic feeling life will be a series of painful moments, unending  until the  grave’s perfect peace.
         She makes the same ridiculous statements I used to say.  “I’ll never be better.” “ I’m  sure the  treatment didn’t work, They’re lying to me.”
          I find myself having   doppelganger conversations:


“I’ll never  feel better again”
Of course you will
No, no, I will never feel whole again
Of course you will

It is as if we are auditioning for the same role in a play and we pass the  script back and forth to see who sounds more sincere in each role.
Cyn has taken on a dreadful habit I once enjoyed: She wakes and rates the day ‘ Today will be a B-. Today will be an F. I once did the same. No need now, I’m settling into that B+/A- state  that's good for most but will keep you out of medical school.
What amazes me is that Cyn and I are so different. I am  everything she is not. I am  maudlin , vindictive ,  sentimental and  self pitying.  Cyn   exudes confidence and calm, her father’s eys looking out at world  from which he has departed. Cyn and her dad hate self pity, I  turned it into an Olympic event.
         Cyn was recently named  VP of  primary care at our hospital. She has done an amazing job  reigning in  and soothing the  4th grade  fragile yet preposterously self important egos of most docs. Had I been given the position, I would spend my time  evening up the score, firing anyone who had offended me over the past 18 years.  I'd soon be alone.
         My  self pity led me to believe there is nothing, save the suffering  of one's child , than one’s own suffering. I have always felt  the Deity  singled me out for some karmic retribution,  that is, until I tell someone of my fate and  he or she replies with a tale so grotesque and horrible  I am driven to ashamed  silence.  I am merely miserable; I am not among the horrible.

         I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.”
 ---Woody Allen

         But there is something worse than one’s own suffering. The suffering of one’s mate is far worse.

In suffering one has pity,  one has carte blanche to be  sad and bitter, to lash put against loved ones,  to transgress in a million innocent and not so inniocent ways . There is  perfect peace in  being terminally ill, as I learned when my disease roared back and I was beyond chemotherapies’ ambivalent  but sometimes helpful grasp.  .  I have known all of Kubler Ross’s  stages of grief, even the last stange, acceptance ,which is not acceptance in the  positive, life affirming  style   but  the feeing  the mouse feel’s as she is borne from earth in an eagle’s mouth.
         Once upon a time I ached over my neoplastic fate, the pain of  cancer therapy, of  relapse, of  endless side effects.  Cyn was there every step of the way.  Now I know the utter helplessness of watching one's loved ones suffer, knowing there is nothing, really, that can be done to assuage her pain. 
Now its my turn to ache again, over the sufferings of my dearest.  

Update: Just got back from the  orthopedist. Mike  is a jolly,  reassuring guy, who reviewed Cyn's X rays and said " You' re doing great"

ptoo ptoo ptoo


Maybe life is retiuring to the daily  disater of mere misery. I hope.



* A tad obscure. Sorry. George Bellows (1889-1925 American painer. Paineted Dempsy Vs Filpo ( 1924) Love the pic because  Bellows is the bald guy to the left.  I live my life for  inside art jokes. 
George Bellows/ He's the  bald guy on the left



 Frank Stella
Jenga. That's What Cyn's spine looked like

No comments:

Post a Comment